- Raw rice - 2 cups
- Poha/Aval (thick) - 1 cup
- Urad dhal whole - 1/2 cup
- Fenugreek seeds - 2 tsp
- Red onion - 1/2
- Green chilly - 1
- Mustard - 1/4 tsp
- Urad dhal - 1 tsp
- Channa dhal - 1 tsp
- Hing - pinch
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves - 1 strand
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Jaggery - 1/4 cup
- Ripe Banana - 2
- Cardamom - 1
Soak raw rice, urad dhal and fenugreek seeds separately overnight.
Grind fenugreek seeds, urad dhal and raw rice. While its grinding
soak aval / poha for 15 mins, wash and grind it along with rice/urad
dhal mix. Allow the batter to ferment for 5-6 hrs. Add salt to taste.
Heat pan, add oil and fry mustard, cumin, hing, urad dhal, channa dhal,
finely cut green chilly, onion and curry leaves. Add fried ingredients
to 2 cups of batter. Add salt to taste.
Mash banana, mix it with powdered jaggery and cardamom powder.
Add banana mix to 2 cups of batter.
- Heat paniyaram pan and add 2 drops of oil in each cup.
- Pour batter in each cup and close with glass lid
- Cook in low flame, so it cooks all the way inside and does not burn outside
- Flip side after 2 mins and cook till its golden brown
Tip: Add grated coconut to batter mix for Appam